Friday, February 13, 2015

13 Fun Facts About Friday the 13th

I did a post on Valentines Day, and since I still see so many Valentine's Day haters out there, I figured I'd appeal to those who would rather celebrate Friday the 13th.... however one does that (hopefully not movie-style). Some of these are interesting, some are just random ones that I thought I'd throw in. I'll totally admit, I had to google 80 percent of these.

1. Fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia. Yes, that's a different font because I copied and pasted it. 

2. Friday the 13th is mentioned as unlucky even as far back as the 1700s.

3. The myth of 13 dinner guests being unlucky (that one person will supposedly die within a year) has been traced to the Last Supper. Jesus dined with 12 apostles. He was betrayed by Judas, and then crucified on .... da da da... a Friday (though not the 13th).

4. Space 13 is my parking space at work. I know you all wanted to know this.

5. In 1881, The Thirteen Club was established in order to improve the number's "image". Members walked under ladders and threw salt over their shoulders at the first meeting.

6. Most hotels do not have a floor 13.

7. If you want to get a better seat on a flight, look at row 13. The seats are almost always empty, and one of the few rows you almost never have to pay extra for to improve your seat. People would apparently rather sit in the middle seat near the bathroom than row 13.

8. There have been actual scientific studies done in an attempt to prove if Friday the 13th is a myth/superstition, or if there's anything "real" behind it.

9. This past June (2014), Friday the 13th fell on the same day as a full moon. That won't happen again until 2049.

10. There are three Friday the 13ths in 2015. They say bad luck comes in threes. I guess we'll see.

11. A little history about a few back luck superstitions:

  • Black cats: In the middle-ages, alley cats were often seen being fed by old ladies, many of whom were suspected of being witches/practicing black magic. Hence, bad luck. 
  • Walking under ladders: in medieval times, ladders symbolized the gallows. When someone walked under it, they believed he would face his death by hanging. 
  • Throwing salt over your shoulder/spilling salt: this is unclear. One explanation is that Judas spilled salt at the last supper (supposedly). Another is that the devil is always standing over your left shoulder, so by throwing salt in that direction, you blind him. Either way, it seems to stem from religious origins. 
12. One explanation for 13 seeming unlucky is that 12 is considered the last "complete number" by numerologists. 13 is a prime number, and many things seem to end at 12. 12 months of the year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 apostles, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 tribes of Israel. Even number charts in school end at 12. 13 seems forgotten, or avoided, depending on how you look at it. 

13. I forgot my hat today, and it's 12 degrees (Fahrenheit). I also forgot to bring my work shoes and therefore must wear my snow boots all day. An auspicious start to Friday the 13th? Who knows! 

No comments:

Post a Comment