Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Commitments List, Part 2

It's been about a month since I made my commitments list. Since I shared my thoughts behind it, my personal list and suggested that it's could be a great activity for anyone. Since I'm very much about being open and up front, I thought I'd provide an update on my progress and my thoughts for continuing the process.

My list started out very small. I didn't want it to be a chore, I simply wanted it to help me keep on track with my doctors orders and with some basics that I thought would help me through the process of growing and focusing on myself. If you read the original blog, you may remember my list looked like this (and if you didn't, here it is):

1. Take morning meds by 9 AM
2. Take afternoon meds approximately 2 PM
3. Take evening meds approximately 9:30 - 10 PM
4. Get 7-8 hours of sleep

Pretty easy stuff, huh? The one that's caused me the most trouble is the 7-8 hours of sleep, simply because I'm not usually a great sleeper and because I have been spending time out with friends (great, but not the most ideal for sleep) and like to get up at a slightly early hour to get my workout in before I start my work day. All in all, though, I feel I've done pretty well. 

The first two weeks I stuck to just those commitments. I wanted to make sure I was truly creating those habits. The next week, I added journaling and meditation, starting with five minutes of meditation a day and slowly increasing by a minute every couple of days. I'm now up to ten minutes a day, and by the end of this week I hope to be at eleven minutes. Like I said, I am intentionally making this a slow process. My journaling commitment now has an extra component as well - I must include three positive things and three things I'm grateful for each day. It probably sounds cliche, but it's helped my outlook as well as my enjoyment of journaling. I try to start off each entry this way in an attempt to 1.) focus on the positive and 2.) avoid making my journal just a regurgitation of my day moment by moment and inevitably focusing on the things that are bothering me. (I wrote a whole blog on my journaling "technique", for anyone who struggles with this activity.)  

So that's my progress. I am still truly enjoying the idea of the commitments list. It's helping me see my progress daily and celebrate the "little victories". Have you made a commitments list? If so, how is it coming along? What have you enjoyed about it, and what troubles have you had with it? What do you hope to include on it in the future?

I'm happy to answer anyones questions about this project. It's something I basically just created (though I'm sure I'm not the first) so there really aren't any wrong or right ways to do it. I'd love to hear your thoughts and your journey with this so far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment