Thursday, June 25, 2015

You Can Watch Me Walk If You Want To

First off, a big plus to anyone that gets the song reference (I'm looking at you, country music fans). Secondly, I know I've been posting about my Overnight Walk a lot lately, but let's face it, it's a pretty big deal.

So, this Saturday night - sundown until whenever I finish which is hopefully well before sun-up - is THE night. I don't know the exact mileage or route, but the teasers for the "sites you'll pass" look pretty promising for at making the walk interesting.

This year, I'm walking in honor of my (second) cousin, who tragically took his life a few years back, as well as several friends and loved ones of my friends. Their names are already sharpied onto my shirt, which I will be wearing for the walk. Truly, I walk in honor of all of those who have suffered a loss from suicide, those who have themselves grappled with thoughts of suicide, and those who suffer mental health conditions and may always be at risk. I walk for myself, both as a mood cycler and a mental health activist, who has seen the awful effects that depression can have wonderful people who deserve so much more than to battle this lifelong illness.

I'll keep this blog short and sweet, for once (Woo hoo, you say!).  I'd love for you to follow my journey this weekend, to share, Retweet, and help me spread the word, not just of my walk, but of The Overnight, AFSP, and the messages of awareness, education, and hope that this event, and the Foundation, wish to accomplish.  Please feel free to follow me on Twitter @mayanorthen  - no second "r" in the last name - and/or on instagram at myohmy23. And please feel free to say "hi" if you do.

I look forward to sharing my experience with you all! Have a wonderful weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment